“Joy and hope”: The II Vatican Council on the relations between the Catholic Church and the modern world
|Kod Erasmus / ISCED:||
|Nazwa przedmiotu:||“Joy and hope”: The II Vatican Council on the relations between the Catholic Church and the modern world|
|Punkty ECTS i inne:||
The course will concentrate on the analysis on the Pastoral Constitution on the Church in the Modern World of the II Vatican Council, „Gaudium et spes“. The ample historical background on the relations between the Catholic Church and the modern society in the 19th and 20th century will be also provided.
1. The role and importance of the councils in the history of the Church
2. The Church against the world: the Syllabus of Errors of Pius IX
3. I Vatican Council and the Church as the perfect monarchy
4. The Modernist crisis and the calls for a “new theology”
5. 1905 and the hostile separation of the Church and State in France
6. Is a Catholic state possible? Italy from fascism to the Constitution of 1948
7. The reforms of Pius XII and the convokation of the II Vatican Council
8. The organisation and development of the Council
9. The anthropological shift in the theology
10. The Church in front of atheism and comunism
11. Pacem in terris: preserving the peace and fighting the nuclear weapons
12. The goals of the marriage and the regulation of births
13. The new model for the Church-State relations: “autonomy and cooperation”
13. “The Church of the poor”
1. The Pastoral Constitution on the Church in the Modern World of the II Vatican Council Gaudium et spes.
2. G. Alberigo, A Brief History of Vatican II
3. J.W. O’Malley, What Happened at Vatican II
4. N. Tanner, The Councils of the Church: A Short History
5. E. Palladino, Gaudium et spes. Storia, commento, recenzione
6. R.M. Wiltgen, The Rhine Flows Into The Tiber
|Efekty uczenia się:||
Learning outcomes - knowledge W-1: The student knows when and why the II Vatican Council was convoked.
W-2: The student knows the structure of the „Gaudium et spes“ constitution.
W-3: The student is familiar with the major conflicts between the Catholic Church and the states in the 19th and 20th century.
Learning outcomes - skills U-1: The student can explain the main shifts in the theology of the 19th and 20th century.
U-2: The student is able to comment on some of the major issues raised in the „Gaudium et spes“ constitution.U-3: The student can distinguish between the official doctrine of the Church and the private opinions of the theologians.
Learning outcomes - social competencies
K-1: The student is aware of the external and internal reasons for the shifts in the attitude of the Church towards the modern civilisation.
K-2: The student can discuss in a civil way various models of the coexistence of the Catholic Church and the state.
K-3: The student is able to indicate the common ground and the potential conflicts between the Catholic doctrine and the liberal democracy.
|Metody i kryteria oceniania:||
1. The presence at the lectures (three absences allowed)
2. Final test. In order to pass this test students have to obtain at least 50%. Grades:
satisfactory- … 50 %
satisfactory plus- … 60…%
good - 70…%
good plus- … 80…%
very good- … 85 %
Zajęcia w cyklu "Semestr letni 2019/20" (zakończony)
Właścicielem praw autorskich jest Uniwersytet Mikołaja Kopernika w Toruniu.